History of Sheraden
Many of the photos are temporarily removed, while I try to get permission to post them.
The town's namesake is William Sheraden, a truck farmer and gardener. Mr. Sheraden moved to Allegheny County from his Mount Pleasant, Ohio birthplace in 1822. In 1858, Sheraden bought 122 acres of land from Mrs. Sara Bailey.
Mr. Sheraden's farmland extended from what is now Hillsboro street (at the bank building) to Allendale Street, and from Sheraden Terrace to Old Tunnel Street (near the mouth of the tunnel). William Sheraden's original homestead, still standing at 2803 Bergman Street, was first in the middle of Bergman facing Hillsboro Street but was moved to make way for a through street.
Mr. William S. Bockstoce (Oct. 1, 1876 - Sept. 1963), a grandson of Mr. Sheraden, was an internationally known horticulturalist, famous for his expertise with peonies. He lived in the Bergman Street house until his death. This home is well known for the two sycamore trees which grow together to form an arch, a legacy from Mr. Bockstoce.
Mr. Sheraden died in 1901. His relatives were: W. J. Sheraden, Mrs. John Hall, Mrs. Margaret Bockstoce, Mrs. Anna M. Smith and Mrs. George Moore. The last surviving relative of Mr. Sheraden, Mrs. Gaynell Sheraden-Hall, used to live in the Sheraden homestead at 2600 Middletown Road. The original barn still stands, in use today as a garage.
Although a farmer and not much interested in urban developments, Mr. Sheraden did sell parts of his farm from time to time for development by others, most notably the Panhandle Railroad. Not long after he bought the property, a proposal was made to build a railroad line through the farm. Judge Jewett, head of the new railroad company, and a Mr. Timmons, chief engineer, called on Sheraden to get a right of way, asking what remuneration he desired. Mr. Sheraden requested only that a railway station be placed on the site. When the railroad and tunnel were being built, a task requiring many "pick and shovel" men at the site, the railroad company built the station. The small frame station erected there was used as both a telegraph office and waiting room for passengers, and was (mis)named "Sheridan Station" by the appreciative company. The name clung to the community even though the names of the railroad station and post office were changed to Corliss Station in 1918, since there was already another "Sheridan" in Pennsylvania and, in fact, the Post Office began calling the settlement Sheridanville. Thus we had the distinction of being a town with three names!
The original Chartiers township had nearly all been annexed to Pittsburgh or made into boroughs. The borough of Sheraden was originally from a part of Chartiers township. On account of the rugged topography of this region the city's line makes some queer twists. Lying between Sheraden and Chartiers Creek is what remains of Chartiers township.
The nucleus of the borough of Sheraden was laid out by Nathaniel P. Sawyer in 1872, but the growth of the village was not remarkable until about four years later. Sawyer purchased about 100 acres of land lying between the Corks Run railroad tunnel and Chartiers Creek from Frances King of Philadelphia.The land had been called "Aschenaz" (sic), a name found in the King James version of the Bible (Jeremiah 51:57) where "Ashchenaz" (the correct biblical spelling) is mentioned as the name of a kingdom and meant, it is said, "pleasant land". This "Borough of Aschenaz" plan adjoined the Sheraden Farm just north of American Street (later renamed American Avenue and then renamed as present day Allendale Street).
Immediately after the town's first settlement, Sawyer erected a waterworks, of necessity a crude affair, but adequate at the time for residents' needs. Its cistern was above the railroad tunnels and its water supplied by a hydraulic ram.
Mr. Sawyer went bankrupt and sold the land to Mr. Andrew Patterson, who created his own plan in 1880. Mr. Patterson bought a part of Sheraden Farm which extended west of Township Road (now called Chartiers Avenue) and subdivided it into lots for homes. This began the development of the west side of Chartiers Avenue.
A Methodist and a Presbyterian church were built in 1884.
With more and more homes going up, William Sheraden saw the need for a post office. Having first obtained approval from the Pittsburgh Post Office, Sheraden sent his son, W. J., at his own expense, to Washington to meet with postal officials. The Postmaster General gave his consent to establishment of the post office, which was established February 10, 1886.
The site was exploited in 1889 by the Sheraden Land and Improvement Company and since that time was locally known as Sheraden. There were 15 houses at the time and these original tenants were the nucleus of what later developed into the town of Sheraden.
A progressive citizen, William Sheraden took a lively interest in educational matters and served as school board president. Through his efforts, a number of schools were established, including a country school located on a piece of his farm land. William Sheraden died in 1901, at the age of 81.
However, the real expansion of our community began with the development of Sheraden Terrace by Wood Harmon and Company in 1891 and ended when the remaining 64 acres of Sheraden Farm (situated between Chartiers Avenue and Sheraden Terrace) were developed. We know these areas as Bergman, Landis and Ashlyn Streets. The final construction was planned by the Pittsburgh Realty Company in 1900.
As a tribute to the proposed "borough of Aschenaz", one of the streets on the plan was to be named "Aschenaz Ave". The street can be found on the Pittsburgh Realty Keystone Plan on Plate No. 20 of the real estate plat-book of the Southern Vicinity of Pittsburgh (1905), created by G. M. Hopkins & Co. If you compare Plate No. 20 to the current map of Sheraden, you'll notice that Aschenaz Ave. is what is now called Adon Street - the street that starts near Schaeffer Intermediate Campus (the old Sheraden Elementary school), loops through one side of Sheraden Park and on which is the new Sheraden Park swimming pool!
In 1886 (see 1886 map), the principal highway leading into Sheraden was Chartiers Avenue. A traveler needed to get onto the Steubenville Turnpike (Steuben Street) in the West End and then make a right turn onto Chartiers Avenue, which traveled all of the way to the Sheridan (sic) Station. They were all dirt roads at the time and even a light rainfall could turn the roads into muddy messes, full of deep ruts, made worse as each additional horse-and-wagon passed through. Entering Sheraden, Chartiers Avenue started sloping upwards (near present day Comcast), passing the widest section of the rail yard, where there were 4 main tracks and 5 side tracks. After cresting the small hill, the road sloped downward until the road became the level with the railroad tracks. At the location of the present day Port Authority Park & Ride lot (approximately 7700 feet east of the present bridge at Corliss Station), Chartiers Avenue veered to the right and crossed the railroad tracks at that grade.
Also, Corliss Street didn't exist at that time - it was named Centre (sic) Street - and was a cross-street from Chartiers Avenue. After traveling about one block on Centre Street, the street ended. To continue traveling in the same direction, you had to go about 100 feet to the right and then turn left onto Tunnel Street - which only went about one more block, ending at a small crossroads street that ran along the railroad tracks. There was no way to cross the tracks at that time.
During 1886, a bridge was erected at the bottom of Straka Street, eliminating the need fore the grade crossing.
By 1896, a new way of getting to Sheraden was created - a fly-over, just like today's Port Authority West Busway fly-over - and at about the same location. To get from Pittsburgh to Sheraden, you now continued past the West End on the Robinson Township Pike (present day West Carson Street). About about the same location of the current West Busway flyover, there was a left-hand exit (from West Carson street) onto a ramp. Just like the Busway fly-over the ramp immediately made a right hand turn and went up a ramp. After about two hundred feet, the ramp gave way to an inclined bridge, which rose to a height well above the railroad tracks. Then the bridge made a sharp curve to the left and crossed over the railroad tracks. After crossing the tracks, the bridge ended and the road became solid ground. After a few feet the road turned right to parallel the next set of railroad tracks (the tracks that made a sweeping left turn to enter the Sheridan Station rail yard). After about 250 feet, the road made a left turn and immediately went through an underpass, taking you under the railroad tracks that went into Sheraden. After going through the underpass, the road came to a "Y". Going straight ahead took you uphill to Division Street or, by bearing to the right, you went downhill onto Center Street (present day Corliss Street) which was a now single straight street, comprised of the previous Centre Street and Tunnel Street). After traveling several hundred feet downhill into the valley, the road leveled out and, being a low spot, was often a muddy bog. The road then rose again in a slight grade until it met Chartiers Avenue.
Bearing to the right onto Chartiers Avenue, the road continued to slope upwards, passing the widest section of the rail yard, where there were now 33 sets of tracks, side-by-side (where Comcast is today). By 1896, a bridge was erected at the bottom of Straka Street, eliminating the need for the grade crossing. In 1908 a new bridge was built.
The Pittsburgh, Crafton and Mansfield (present day Carnegie) Railways Company was chartered to build the first streetcar line through Sheraden in 1897, three years after the community was designated a borough. The original ordinance provided for a line "beginning at the intersection of the Robinson Township Turnpike [now West Carson Street] and Corks Run Public Road, thence along the viaduct on said road, to and through an underground crossing beneath the tracks of the Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis Railway Company, thence along said public road [Corks Run Road, now Corliss Street] to the intersection of the same with the public road known as Sheraden Road" (now Chartiers Avenue).
Apparently, the problem of the viaduct and underground crossing could not be solved and this feature was abandoned, but not forgotten. The route through Elliot and down Steuben Street furnished the only transportation to and from downtown until the Corliss Street Tunnel was completed in 1914.
Up to its incorporation in 1894, our community was part of Chartiers Township. The petition for incorporation stated "the area contains more than 180 freeholders" (landowners). James O'Connor, John Bradely, and Peter Coll were appointed to an election board to oversee the first election of borough officers, held May 29, 1894. The first borough auditors were W. R. Bell, E. T. Whiter and A. B. Chapman. In the election, Mr. R. E. McCarty and D. E. Langdon were elected to Borough Council President and Secretary, respectively. U. E. Lippencott and John Holt received membership over three years, T. W. Crotzer and R. E. McCarty received terms of two years, and F. E. Bretch, George A. Adams, Mr. Burgess and F. P. Iams filled out the Borough Council with one-year terms. The Borough of Sheraden remained an independent community until it became part of Pittsburgh.
Holy Innocents Parish was established on October 7, 1900. The next year the parish bought land and began work on a church. The first Mass was celebrated in the new church on January 5, 1902. On August 31, 1908, Holy Innocents Grade School opened with five grades and 25 students. By 1924, the congregation had outgrown the first church building; the completed building was dedicated on June 21, 1925. On March 21, 1954, ground was broken for the Holy Innocents High School; it was dedicated on September 3, 1955. The Holy Innocents High School closed in 1973. In 1991, the Holy Innocents, St. Martin and St. James schools merged to become the Elizabeth Seton Regional School. In March 2009, the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh announced that Elizabeth Seton Region School (and several others) would close because of declining enrollments and rising costs. On June 5, 2009, after 102 years as a Catholic school building, the doors were closed on the final day of classes that would ever be held there.
Although it was a major occurrence at the time - with the story spreading world-wide - it is rare to find a person today who has heard about the "Sheraden Catastrophe of 1902". At the Sheridan (sic) Station rail yard, the Panhandle Railroad was switching five tank cars, two of them filled with refined petroleum and two with naphtha (similar to gasoline, but VERY volatile). They were switched with too much force and one of the cars of naphtha was broken. Three separate explosions followed, which killed 21 people right away and injured over 300 others - many who later died from infections due to their burns.
The Borough of Sheraden was annexed to the City of Pittsburgh on November 21, 1907. The election held to determine whether Sheraden would merge with Pittsburgh was hotly debated and contested. The final tally was 485 votes for and 256 votes against the annexation. Sheraden became the 43rd Ward (later to merge with and become part of the 20th Ward) of the City of Pittsburgh.
Sheraden was described in a book, entitled Pittsburgh, How To See It (arranged and edited by George T. Fleming and published by William G. Johnston Company, copyrighted in 1916). According to the book, "Sheraden:--The extreme western part of the City also part of the Twentieth Ward, and the former borough of that name, annexed to the City in 1907. Previous to its admission to the City it had established its own business section, but it is now largely a residence district. It is reached by local trains on the Pan Handle Division of the Pennsylvania Lines West of Pittsburgh, and trolley cars on Routes 31 and 32 from Liberty avenue and Stanwix street."
Sheraden received many benefits as a result of its annexation to the city of Pittsburgh in 1907. The city built a modern fire engine house (at 3000 Chartiers Avenue) and staffed it (this became Station number 40 after the annexation). The Fire Station later was renamed as Fire Station #31. The city also repaved the streets without costs to adjoining property owners, assumed the debt of the old borough (for a time Pittsburgh did levy a special tax on the residents to repay the debt), provided water services from the South Pittsburgh Water Company at city rates (which were lower), acquired a considerable tract of land for our park and playground, and built and staffed the Sheraden Park Swimming Pool. Best of all was that taxes went down. According to the book, Pittsburgh, How To See It, "Sheraden Park comprises twenty three acres in extent and was bought late in 1913. A beautiful park with great recreational possibilities. The cost of the property was $14,500.00. Reached by Sheraden (trolley) cars on Routes 31 and 32." Today, the (now 51 acre) Sheraden Park is a community park serving the local Pittsburgh neighborhoods of Sheraden and Esplen and the adjacent borough of McKees Rocks. Set in a wooded valley, the Park includes a swimming pool, tennis courts, ball fields, basketball courts and plenty of picnic and playground areas.
Sheraden was ably represented by W. Y. English as city councilman. Another Sheraden resident, N. R. Criss, was appointed as a judge in the Court of Common Pleas representing Sheraden as a District of Pittsburgh. His service to the court spanned twenty two years, after which he resigned to become solicitor for the Board of Education.
With Mr. English on the City Council and Mr. Criss on the Pittsburgh Board of Education, the people of Sheraden, with the Sheraden Board of Trade and other organizations, began to work on two major improvements - the Corliss Street Tunnel and a new high school. Work on the tunnel started on December 15, 1913, and was completed one year later on December 31, 1914. The Pittsburgh Railway Company started routing its cars through the tunnel on January 4, 1915. The Corliss Street Tunnel, the "Archway to Sheraden", is adorned with three lion faces and its opening was celebrated with an auto parade from Allendale Street through the tunnel and into downtown Pittsburgh. A banquet was held that evening at the Fort Pitt Hotel to conclude the celebration.
To show how rapidly Sheraden grew, in 1890 only 82 votes were cast. In 1899 there were 700, in 1907 there were 1300, and 100 years later in 1990 the total population of Sheraden was 6,654. Some of the early Sheraden settlers were: Abercrombie, Bailey, Boden, Clark, Conrad, Criss, Crooks, Degnam, Dwyer, Gehring, Genet, Graham, Green, Hall, Holt, Iams, Kohl, Lee, Lenz, Little, Lippencotte, May, McCarty, McNary, Mulherron, Murphy, Naughton, Nimick, O'Connor, Patterson, Reno, Rothar, Sawyer, Sheraden, Stahl, Sterling, Wilhere and Woods.
Still standing from the 1900s are the
Murphy Building on Hillsboro, Fire Engine House
40) and the
Sheraden Methodist Church on Chartiers, Holy Innocents Rectory
on Landis, the Episcopal Church (now the Church of the Messiah)
on Sherwood, the First United Presbyterian Church (now the
Christian and Missionary Alliance Church) at the corner of
Sherwood and Bergman, the Iams mansion on Tyndall near Kelvin,
the U.E. Lippencotte homestead on Tybee (now owned and restored
by the Harkins family), the PNC Bank building,
Candy store at the corner of Chartiers & Hoover, homes near
the corner of Landis and Sherwood, a 3-car garage in the alley
behind the 2700 block of Bergman which was once a stable for a
coal or ice company, Mueller's Bakery in the 2900 block of Glen Mawr, the family home of the Hershbergers, undertakers in the
west end for three generations (founded in 1873), at the corner
Middletown Road and Ladoga Street,
The Great Atlantic & Pacific Tea Company (at the
intersection of Chartiers, Kelvin and Jeffers), a farmhouse which once
served as a rooming house for railroad workers in the 2700 block
of Toledo Street , and a grocery store (now a residence)
at the corner of Hammond and Glen Mawr. The cliffside homes on
Conestoga Street could be 100 years old and, like the houses
along Glasgow and Brunot streets, offer a remarkable view of the
rivers and downtown Pittsburgh.
John Murphy, an early settler and resident of Zephyr Avenue, served as a U. S. Congressman and ran for Vice President of the United States in 1895 on the Democratic ticket with James Buchanan. The Murphy Building on Hillsboro Street was named after him, and was the original site of the Sheraden National Bank, the Sheraden Municipal Building, and the borough jail at the turn of the twentieth century.
Langley High School, designed by architects MacClure and Spahr, opened on April 9, 1923, and replaced the former borough's Riverside High School. Langley was built on a vineyard donated by William Sheraden, and named in honor of Samuel Pierpont Langley, well known for his contributions in the fields of aviation, science, and astronomy, and the first director of the Allegheny Observatory. Originally built to accommodate 1500 students, Langley was the first school in Pittsburgh that had a new science department, a public address system, and a modernized home economics kitchen. It was designed after Warwick Castle, in England, and is one of the most beautiful school buildings in Pittsburgh. Constructed in 1939, the Sheraden Field House is located along the main road (Surban Street) through Sheraden Park, adjacent to the baseball field and the picnic pavilion. Most visitors just know it as the building that has the rest rooms!
Dick's Pharmacy, at the corner of Allendale and Chartiers, was the oldest continuously operating store in Sheraden, established as a pharmacy in 1903 and closing finally in 1994. The railroad that separated Sheraden from McKees Rocks was called McGunigle in William Sheraden's time, and the playground and ball fields now overlooking the old railroad lines at the end of Allendale street have been re-spelled as "McGonagle". The Hollywood Cemetery, at 3500 Clearfield Street, was dedicated in 1893, Sheraden Park was established in 1914.
Points of interest which were torn down were: the Aplin apartment building and storefronts (now occupied by the Sheraden Market & parking lot) on Sheraden Boulevard; the First Methodist Church and Harwood grade school which stood on opposite corners of Hammond and Glen Mawr; an undertaker, a Real Estate & Insurance Company where the Memorial is now located; the site of the first Catholic church in Sheraden where a barn called Clement's Hall once stood, at 3104 Adon street below Chartiers (only the brick entrance remains), and a large apartment building with store rooms where the Veteran's Memorial now stands. Many houses in Sheraden are known locally as "Pittsburgh Boxes," a cross between the wide, Prairie style homes of the Midwest and the urban Victorian homes found in the east.
Sheraden once had 5 pharmacies, tailors, cleaners, 8 small grocery stores, 3 meat markets (including the Sheraden Fish & Poultry Co.), 2 pool halls (one on Hillsboro and one on Chartiers), 2 hardware stores, a 5 & 10 cent store, a theatre, 4 bakeries, a fruit market, an appliance store, a bowling alley, an engineering company, the Heckler furnace company, beauty and pizza shops, a Dairy Queen, a restaurant, a skating rink, a jewelry store, a coal company, a grain elevator, several confectionary stores, a cigar smoke shop, Haddon Hospital (at Faronia and Ladoga, since razed), dentists, doctors, 3 funeral homes, 3 auto dealers, 6 gas stations, auto repair shops, 4 shoe repair shops, 5 taverns, several manufacturing plants and a Pittsburgh Railways Company streetcar Car House & Office (now the Church of the Ascension) at the intersection of Berry and Ladoga Streets.
In 1958 the architectural firm of Kuhn, Newcomers & Valentour constructed the Sheraden Elementary School. The school is located at 3128 Allendale Street and was constructed at a cost of $467,025. The building housed two kindergarten classrooms, six primary classrooms, and five intermediate classrooms, as well as both a school library and a public library. The school took its name from William Sheraden, a settler who moved into the area in 1822. The school, which had an enrollment of over 200 students in 2003, was a five-grade elementary school that served parts of the Sheraden and Westgate communities. The school was later renamed as Schaeffer Intermediate Campus. The old Chartiers Township School, which was in use prior to the American Civil War, was one of three predecessors of Sheraden Elementary School. In 1887, the American Avenue School was constructed as an elementary and high school. In 1894, Sheraden Borough was officially formed, and in 1898 the Harwood School, another predecessor of Sheraden Elementary, was built. Harwood School was so named because it faced Harwood Street (now Hammond Street). It was originally a four-room school building, which was expanded to include two separate additions. The school permanently closed in 1959 and the property was sold in 1961. In 1907, the schools merged with the City of Pittsburgh school system.
In 1905, the Sheraden Elks Lodge was founded. Its members met in the Murphy Building, which was then the center for meetings, dances and gatherings. Their Lodge, at 612 Hillsboro Street, built in 1925, was razed in early 1980. In its place, constructed in 1984, Goodwill of Southwestern Pennsylvania built an eight-story building, called Goodwill Plaza. It was originally built to provide subsidized-housing for people with disabilities; it has since changed its focus to also be a Senior Citizens apartment building.
The Sheraden Women's Club, which met monthly until 1995, was founded in 1907 by Mrs. Charles Banker. They awarded a yearly scholarship to a worthy Langley High school student. For younger women, the Sheraden Civic Club was founded in 1954. They presented a nursing scholarship to a worthy Langley student every year until their funds ran out, and they took over the Halloween parade until they disbanded in 1987, for lack of membership. The Golden Age Club, originally sponsored by the Civic Club, met at Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church of Sheraden, until it also disbanded.
Sheraden's Borough Council has been active since its inception in the late 1800's. In 1930 a local businessmen's Board of Trade planned improvements and activities such as fireworks on the 4th of July, a Halloween parade. The Council also had the bridge in Sheraden repaved. Carl Lenz, the owner of a local meat and grocery store, organized Kennywood picnics and, with the Board of Trade and local churches, was responsible for fixing up the old swimming pool building as a youth center during winter months.
In 1963 the Sheraden Citizen's Improvement Council was organized. In 1973 they began a parade and Community Day picnic celebration. The Council was instrumental in building the new Sheraden Pool in 1974, rebuilding McGunnegle Field (used by the Sheraden Baseball Association), planting trees on many streets, refurbishing Sheraden Park, widening the football field, building basketball and tennis courts, placing tot lots around the community, and designing a community building. The Halloween parades were started again and the Council cooperated with the Sheraden Football Association to put up a Christmas Tree. Their name was later changed to the Sheraden Community Council. The Sheraden Community Council meets the 4th Tuesday of each month (except December) at the Sheraden Senior Center on Sherwood Avenue at 7:00 p.m. This meeting is open to all residents. For more information visit their website or email them.
Another active group in Sheraden is the Kiwanis Club of Sheraden, founded on May 10, 1951, which meets every Thursday at 6:30 p.m. at the American Legion Post #496, 2863 Chartiers Avenue (across the street from Langley High School).
In 1977, a snapshot of Sheraden and its residents was taken by the University of Pittsburgh's University Center for Urban Research was it surveyed Sheraden residents, compiled the results and published An Atlas of the Sheraden Neighborhood of Pittsburgh 1977.
Starting in 1996 the old Cork Run train tunnel (underground, parallel with and between Berry St. and Hillsboro St.) - connecting Sheraden and Ingram, was widened and upgraded for a federal project - to convert the old train right-of-way into the West Busway. The rebuilt tunnel is now called the Berry Street tunnel.
In 2004, J.T. Sauer & Associates began work on a community skate park project with vision sketches and meetings with local skaters to create a premiere ramp skate park to challenge all skill levels of the local skaters. The goal of the project was to create a California-style bowl skate park, however the site was formally a Pittsburgh dump and the soils were too unstable for an in-ground concrete bowl system. They solved this problem by creating a custom-designed steel ramp system manufactured by American Ramp Incorporated. The steel ramps provide all of the features of an in-ground concrete bowl with bowled corners, hips, pipes and great flow for good transition from each ramp. In 2005, the Sheraden Skate Park was completed and opened to the public. The final result is a great skate park that attracts riders from all over the Pittsburgh area making this former blemish of the community, one of its best attractions.
Sheraden is now a part of Pittsburgh City Council District 2 and we are represented by Theresa Kail-Smith.
Warrantee Atlas of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania - Chartiers Township (link to source)
- Contains a Plate that depicts the original land grants that settlers (of present-day Allegheny County) received from the Commonwealth after William Penn and his descendants vested the land to the legislature. Constructed from the records on file in the Department of Internal Affairs, and surveys made on the ground during 1909, 1910, 1912 under the direction of Henry Houck.
- Plate 26
1896 - Real estate plat-book of the southern vicinity of Pittsburgh, Penna. (link to source)
- Plate 15
East-West: Along Middletown Road from the 3-way intersection of (today's) Chartiers Ave., Jeffers St. & Kelvin St. to the Obey farm (Obey House)
1905 - Southern Vicinity of Pittsburgh (link to source)
East-West: Along the Ohio River from the McKees Rocks border to the Elliott border (near Corliss St.)
- North-South: From the Ohio River to American Ave. (now Allendale St.)
East-West: Along Middletown Road from (now) Jeffers St. to the Obey farm (Obey House)
- North-South: From American Ave. (now Allendale St.) to Prospect Ave. (in Ingram)
1917 (Revised 1928) - Volume 7, South Side and Southern Vicinity of Pittsburgh (West Half) (link to source)
East-West: Along the Ohio River from the Hammond Street to two blocks past the border with Elliott (one block past today's Corliss St.)
- North-South: From the Ohio River to Bergman Street
East-West: Along the Ohio River from the McKees Rocks border (Chartiers Creek) to Hammond Street
- North-South: From the Ohio River to Landis Street
East-West: Along the Ohio River from the McKees Rocks border (Chartiers Creek) to the Sheraden Railroad tracks (now the West Busway)
- North-South: From Landis Street to Chartiers Avenue (as it goes down the hill into Chartiers City)
1923-1961 - City of Pittsburgh Geodetic and Topographic Survey Maps (link to source)
Index Map (1934)
- These maps were prepared by the City of Pittsburgh Department of Planning staff beginning in 1923 and maintained into the 1960s. Relief is shown by contours and spot heights. The Original Index Map includes a grid index and legend. In addition to contour data, these survey maps depict streets, buildings (and sometimes their names), churches, institutions, cemeteries, mills, parks, schools, railroads, bridges, tunnels, reservoirs, lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, development plans, and various landmarks.
Sheet No. 71
- Mapped May 1941
Sheet No. 42
- Mapped December 1941
Sheet No. 21
- Mapped December 1928
Sheet No. 70
- Mapped November 1941
Sheet No. 41
- Mapped December 1930
Sheet No. 20
- Mapped November 1930
- Mapped January 1997
- Mapped February 2003
2011 - Zip Code map of Sheraden
- Portions of this article were compiled by Mrs. Sam (DeDe) Palombini and Mrs. Diane Smihal.
Sources: History of Sheraden 1907, News Publishing CompanyWeekly News Souvenire Edition of 1907, Sheraden Recorder 1908, Southwest Journal, 1976 Bicentennial Newspaper(published through the Sheraden Improvement Council), Holy Innocents Parish 75th Jubilee booklet, the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh website